Friday 4 April 2008

Windows - my personal experience of the noise and draughts

A few residents have been having problems with the newly installed windows, as well as the windows installed in Heaton Park Court 18 months ago.

My experiences:

I have had draughts which cause ornaments & plants on the window sills to move. I have had noise that has meant you can't hear the TV - even at it's loudest. I have spent most of the last 18 months with a duvet around me when seated at the sofa or with 2 duvets on the bed.

I have had at least 6 remedial visits from Mansells and Bradburys. They have replaced all the gaskets on all the windows, siliconed the windows to the max (several times), jemmied a window into place with a crowbar, bedded the vent in silicone and tested the wind speed. Apparently this is as the windows are only guaranteed to 50 mph. The mph was less than 40 when tested, although I was then informed that the gadgets that they test with (their own) aren't always accurate.

The final intervention was only completed yesterday, and so far the flat seems less draughty but when the wind is blowing I'm still experiencing the dementing whistle.

I have variously been told by Mansells & Bradburys:
  • It's the fault of the agency workers who fitted these windows. They shouldn't have cut the gaskets in strips.
  • That noise is dreadful, that's not normal.
  • All the other blocks in the other estates are happy with their windows.
  • It only takes a pin prick hole in the window, and it is like blowing through a paper & comb. The noise is magnified.
  • It's the lightening conductors that are preventing a seal and creating the draughts and noise.
  • The silicone won't seal outside if the paint or bricks are flaking.
  • It's all political, and the flats in the other blocks (Molineux and Grafton) have been sabotaged by the residents.
  • My dining room windows are worse than this - we just eat in the kitchen.
  • This is fine, mine at home are worse than this.
  • We're at a loss as to what to do, so we're passing this over to City Design to investigate.

No comments: